When dealing with allocation of booked hours on a resource WorkBook offers 2 standards:
- Using first available capacity
- Even distribution of hours
Setting up default booking allocation method
In System variable 475 you can set up how booking should be handled in your company. Navigate to “Settings”, find “System variables” under and search for “475” to find the setting.
Where’s the effect?
The global setting from System variable 475 is inherited two places throughout WorkBook.
On a plan
The method defined in System variable 475 reflects on each individual plan on a job. You can change the method for each plan so it diverts from the global setting, but all new plans are born with the hour distribution set in System variable 475.
On a task
The method defined on the plan reflects on each individual task. You can change the method for each taks so it diverts from the plan setting, but all new tasks are born with the hour distribution set on the plan.
Using first available capacity
As stated in the name of this method, when selecting this option WorkBook will use the first free capacity on a resource within the “Ideal booking” (see notes in booking levels in the bottom).
In this example the “Ideal booking” is set to 6 hours on all employees. We’re booking Alex for 10 hours on a three day task. Since he has no other bookings, WorkBook will automatically allocate as many hours on the first day. Since he has no other booking and the “Ideal time” is set to 6 hours WorkBook will book him 6 hours the fist day and the remaining 4 hours the next.
To view this, open “Resource booking” in the left side of a Task card and find the “Manual booking” and “Capacity” buttons in the top right corner to open this view.
Even distribution of hours
In the next example we still book Alex for 10 hours on a three day task, but this time we use “Even distribution of hours“. This means that Alex will be booked 10 hours divided with three days equals 3,5 hour per day.
Resource booking level
The resource booking level defines the capacity i.e. hours an employee can work each day. For now it can only be set up in V8.
The setting are:
- Ideal booking: The ideal numer of hours for an amployee per day
- Basic time: Actual work hours
- Flex: Additinal time an employee can be booked
- Max. booking: The maximum number of booked hours
- Work time start
- Work time end
To edit the default employee capacity profile navigate to “Settings” then finde “Default capacity profile” under “Employees”.
Standard booking level
Once the employee capacity profile has been set up we need to take a look at System variable 269. This variable defines the standard booking level for all new job plans.
Plan & task booking level
Once set up all new plans will inherit the booking level. It can be changed for each individual plan and then again for each task.
An a plan it’s reflected like this (an can always be changed):
A task will inherit booking level from the plan it is on. It can be change via the “Capacity” button in the upper right corner of a Task card.
Things that could impact resource bookings are:
- Resource booking level
- Employee capacity profiles (Found in Settings, Employee settings, Capacity & flex)
- Default employee capacity per day (Settings, System variable 70)
- Rounding factor used on “Even distribution” (Settings, System variable 260)
- Default booking level on all schedules (Settings, System variable 269)
- Minimum minutes to allocate per day when using “Even distribution” (Settings, System variable 474)
- When to recalculate hour allocation (Settings, System variable 746)