You can set up agents in WorkBook to automatically perform tasks in the background, such as:
- Automatically import currency exchange rates from your preferred central bank.
- Automatically perform cache storage cleanup and and database defragmentation.
- Remind account managers to approve certain expenditures on a job.
- Automatically synchronize your WorkBook calendar with your external calendar.
The Agent Setup submodule consists of two grids. The top grid displays all the agents in use, while the bottom grid displays scheduling information and paremeter settings.
1. On the main module toolbar, click Settings .
2. In the left pane of the Settings module, click Advanced tools » Agent setup.
3. On the toolbar of the top grid, click Add agent .
4. In the “Add an agent” dialog box, select select an agent from the drop-down list.
5. Click OK. WorkBook adds the new agent to the top grid of the Agent Setup submodule.
6. In the the top grid, use the columns to define the email notification settings for the agent. For more information, see the Column and Field Descriptions section below.
7. On the Scheduling tab in the bottom grid, set the status of the new agent to Active and specify when and how you want the agent to run using the Start time, Type, Interval, and Max execution time columns. For more information, see the Column and Field Descriptions section below.
You can have more than one schedule for a currency import agent. To add a new schedule, click Add Schedule .
The Running column indicates if an agent is running or not. Deltek does not recommend stopping a running agent.
8. Use the Parameter tab in the bottom grid to customize the agent further. For more information, see the Column and Field Descriptions section below.
Run Agent Once
If you need to run an agent right away without waiting for its next scheduled run, click Run agent once on the toolbar of the top grid.
Column and Field Descriptions
In this example, we take a closer look at the agent called Central Bank Currency Importer.
The top grid displays all the agents in use and their email notification settings
ID: This column has no significant meaning. You may ignore it.
Title: The name of the agent. You cannot edit this column.
After execution, notify user by email: There are three notification options:
- None: WorkBook does not send an email notification when the agent has completed its run.
- Always: WorkBook sends an email notification each time the agent completes its run.
- In case of errors: WorkBook sends email notification only when the agent encounters an error when completing its run.
Email send to: Enter the email addresses of those who should be notified when the agent has completed its run. Use semi-colons to separate the email addresses.
Agent type: A WorkBook agent always uses the same agent type number no matter how many times you add the agent. If you need to contact Deltek Customer Care about a particular agent, use the agent type number, not the ID.
Test mode: When selected, this option prompts the agent to run in safe mode. Users whose email addresses are in the Test email send to column receive an email notification each time the agent has completed its run in safe mode. This option is useful when you want to to test an agent.
Apply to company: If your WorkBook contains more than one company, you can apply an agent to any company.
Agent family: Displays the module to which an agent belongs. You cannot edit this column.
The bottom grid of the Agent Setup sub-module consists of the Scheduling and Parameters tabs.
Active: When selected, the agent runs according to the defined schedule.
Start time: Displays the time that the agent will run next.
Type: Chose the interval type for the agent’s run. Your options are:
- Only run once
Interval: The number in this column, together with the interval type, determines how often the agent will run. In this example, the Central Bank Currency Importer agent runs once a day.
Comment: You can write any kind of comment here
Max execution time: Allows you to set the maximum number of seconds that the agent will run before it is forced to stop to prevent looping.
Running: Indicates if the agent is running or not. Deltek does not recommend stopping a running agent.
Error description: If an agent encountered an error in its run, this column provides a description of the error.
Error date: Displays the time when the agent encountered the error.
Use the parameters on this tab to customize the agent further. Parameters differs from agent to agent, and there are agents that do not have any parameters.